Elite Function Osteopaths believe in restoring full body function, including blood circulation, lymphatic drainage, nerve supply, muscles, joints and the fascial system to treat painful conditions and get people back to a lifestyle they choose to enjoy.Our initial goal is to get you out of pain but our belief is that pain or injury can only be fully treated if the contributory and compensatory factors are also treated. We treat the condition by treating the mechanics and body systems of the individual in front of us to achieve the goals they have in life.
We use a variety of techniques, ranging from joint manipulation, myofascial massage, trigger point, ultrasound, electrotherapy, prescriptive exercise and education to achieve this. We use and consider MRI/X-ray scans, previous injuries as compensating or contributory factors to your pain in your assessment. The treatments and education are then designed to give you maximum function and life enjoyment. We have treated high quality competitors in, most notably: rock climbing, golf, MMA/martial arts, running, tennis, football, cycling, dance, rugby, swimming and weightlifting.
What is osteopathy?
Osteopathy is a form of manual therapy that aims to make the body work efficiently so it can maintain and function at optimum health. Osteopaths are trained to recognize and diagnose all conditions of muscle, joint and nerve pain as well as medical conditions. We use a variety of techniques to get people back to their optimal condition, be it returning to the sport they love after an injury or simply to feel better after experiencing prolonged back/neck pain in your strenuous deskbound jobs.
What distinguishes us from other healthcare professionals is that we treat the body as a whole, taking into account the lymphatic system, circulatory system and musculoskeletal framework as one holistic and functional being. Osteopathy is able to help with any condition or just to prevent pain and maintain good health. Our techniques are vast and we can vary our treatment from using a range of strong to gentle techniques depending on the individual. It very much caters to the individual, as we are trained to assess the patient’s lifestyle, body’s strength and weaknesses, looking beyond their current condition.
Conditions we treat:
- Back/neck pain (slipped discs), headaches
- Shoulder – impingements, tendonitis/tendonosis, labral tears
- Hip – impingements, labral tears
- Knee – meniscus, ACL, syndromes
- Neurological impingements
- All wrist and elbow pain
- Foot/ ankle pain
- Pre/post operative therapy
- All musculoskeletal complaints and sports injuries
Who is it for?
You are absolutely mistaken if you think that only people with injuries see the osteopath! Osteopathy can help you achieve a better quality of life and enhanced performance in doing what you love.
At Elite Function Osteopath, we treat a diverse group from young children to the elderly, active or non-active, we treat people:
- For a specific injury
- Who seek treatment to improve or maintain overall health
- Or to improve performance in sports like Yoga by gaining a better range of flexibility and mobility
- We help athletes to understand their bodies better and gain the most from their training by being aware of true body mechanics and movement.
Benefits you can expect from Osteopathy Treatment
1) Removes the underlying cause of pain
- Reduces pain and stiffness in muscles and joints
- Increases the range of motion in joints
- Treats spinal pain and problems resulting from poor posture or spinal disc injuries
2) Relieves chronic pain through non-invasive treatment
- Decreases the stress on the joints
- Reduces tension in the body
- Relieves tension headaches and migraines
3) Helps the body to adapt to hormonal and structural changes during pregnancy
- Reduces scars and adhesions
- Treats trauma resulting from accidents (Sport injuries, Motor vehicle injuries)
4) Encourages the body to heal itself
- Increase circulation
- Reduces blood pressure
How is the first session like?
The first session is a one hour consultation. We will listen to your concerns and your health history and ask some relevant questions. We will then take a physical examination, looking at posture and movements of the whole body and give a detailed explanation of what is happening to cause your pain. This diagnostic analysis would give you a better breakdown of the root cause of the problem. You will then receive treatment, if appropriate. We usually also give recommended exercises and sound advice for injured athletes and individuals. There may be a few cases where will have to refer you to another type of practitioner or for a scan if necessary.
Please contact us to enquire more about our services.
Marcus is an ex-professional rugby player and national youth athlete in England who graduated from the London school of Osteopathy BSC Honours in 2007. With 15 years of experience, he has treated a diverse group of people, including international rock climbers, strongmen, track and field athletes, many personal trainers, martial art fighters and professional dancers.